Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Compensation Claims From Defective Heating Systems

How to claim compensation if you suffer carbon monoxide poisoning in rented or housing association accommodation

Accident victim question

I just recently started to rent a house from a housing association which has gas central heating and noticed that I was becoming dizzy – I called an ambulance and was taken to hospital and diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning.

I have since found out that my landlord did not have an annual gas safety certificate and that the heating system had not been properly maintained – can I make a claim?

Specialist solicitor response

It is a criminal offence for a landlord not to properly maintain gas appliances and to have an annual gas safety certificate produced by a CORGI approved engineer.

At the commencement of the tenancy the housing association should have provided you with a copy of the gas safety certificate.

Carbon monoxide poisoning (also known as CO poisoning) is a very real risk to tenants if gas appliances are not proerly maintained.

Many people have been killed by carbon monoxide.

You would have a strong claim against your landlord – the housing association. The amount of compensation you can claim would depend on the severity and long term effects of your carbon monoxide poisoning.

Leave a Reply