Archive for the ‘Criminal Injury Claims’ Category

Assault Not Reported To Police: Can I Claim Criminal Injuries Compensation?

Tuesday, April 5th, 2011

Can you claim compensation from the criminal injuries compensation authority of you have not reported an assault to the police, but have attended at hospital for treatment

Assault victim question

I was violently assaulted by a group of youths in London a year ago. I suffered facial injuries, burst blood vessel in eye, bottle/glass cut to head, cracked rib, etc. I did go to hospital, but didn’t report it to police!!

I have made an application for criminal injuries but I have been told by the CICA that my claim will not be successful as I didn’t report the matter to the police. Is this correct?

Criminal Injuries Solicitor Response

For an criminal injuries compensation claim to be successful you must have been injured by a crime of violence and cooperated with the police so far as is possible in bringing the persons who committed the crime to be prosecuted.

The criminal injuries board will need to see a police reference number so that enquiries can be made of the police to confirm a criminal injury occurred. In the absence of a crime reference number or a proper report to the police – there is no way to verify that your injuries were as a result of a crime of violence.

The only possibility I can suggest is for you to speak to your GP who should have been sent a copy of the hospital entries and ask your GP to produce a report verifying that you attended hospital and reported your injuries and thereafter contact the police to see if there is a way that you can get a crime reference number.

There is only a slim chance of the police helping you after such a long time – but if they do you can request that the CICA decision be reviewed sending in the crime reference number and the report from your GP.

Rape Victim Criminal Injuries Claim UK: Night Out In Manchester Attack

Tuesday, February 1st, 2011

Find out the process to claim criminal injuries compensation for rape and psychological injury following an attack after a night out in Manchester

Rape victim criminal injuries claim question

I was visiting some friends in Manchester on a night out when I became separated from my friends so I shared a taxi home with a man I met in the taxi rank who was travelling in the same direction. When we got of the taxi he dragged me into the bushes and I was raped.

I was unfortunate to become pregnant and required surgical termination and have received almost a year of trauma counselling before deciding to proceed and attempt a conviction.

The matter is currently in the hands of the police and I am awaiting a trial date.

Please can you give me tell me the criminal injuries claims process?

Criminal injuries solicitor response

The criminal injuries compensation process can be commenced online from the CICA website should you wish to make a claim on your own behalf.

Please click rape criminal injuries compensation to see the overview to the criminal injuries claim procedure.

Very importantly you should start a criminal injuries claim as soon as possible – the maximum time period to start a claim is two years from the date of the incident.

It matters not that your criminal case has not concluded and even if there is no conviction your criminal injuries compensation claim for rape and the associated trauma might still succeed .

If you decide to claim – it might be best to use a solicitor as the amount of compensation you will receive will likely be far higher as your solicitor will know the medical evidence necessary to prove your claim.

Unfortunately – as the CICA is paid from public monies legal fees will not be met so it is likely your solicitor will charge you for the work done or deduct a small agreed percentage from your compensation if the claim is successful.

Glassed In The Face / Head: Claim Compensation For Scars?

Monday, December 6th, 2010

Find out how to claim compensation for scarring if you have been glassed in the head and face

If you have received injuries, including scarring, from an attack with a glass or other bottle – this is classed in the UK as a serious crime of violence.

So long as you report the matter immediately to the police and cooperate with the police to do all you can to bring the person who glassed you to justice – you will be entitled to claim compensation from a body known as the CICA, which is short for the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority.

Generally – you only have two years to start your claim for compensation from the date of the crime, so it is important that you act as quickly as possible.

A solicitor can help you make a claim or you can apply online with at the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority website.

To see the page I have written setting out how to claim compensation from the CICA if you have been glassed in the face, head or other part of your body – click criminal injury glass scar.