Archive for the ‘Industrial Disease’ Category

Industrial Breathing Disorder Claim: Cadmium Zinc Copper Silicon Dust Mist

Thursday, May 26th, 2011

UK solicitor explains how exposure to harmful dust from chemicals such as Cadmium, Zinc powder, Copper powder, Volatile Silicone can lead to compensation claims for industrial breathing disorders to workers

Industrial breathing disorder victim question

I work for a manufacturing company in Birmingham in England. I’ve worked for approximately 10 years commencing as an apprentice and later becoming a tool maker. The manufacturing company makes metal and plastic products for household electrical appliances.

At the end of the working day I would return caked in dust from the different products that the company was manufacturing. I was provided with a small mask to cover my nose and mouth, but this was only after five years of working with the company.

Even with the mask – at the end of the day when I blew my nose I would still see dark dust in the tissue which I believe would have somehow come through the mask therefore the mask did not seem to be providing adequate protection.

I noticed a couple of years  after leaving this company that I had shortness of breath I went to see my GP and I was tested and diagnosed with a breathing problem which at this stage he could not define. My GP enquired as to the chemicals I was exposed to and after I gave an explanation he indicated that the breathing problem I had was likely to be associated with exposure to the dust in the work place and could be some form of fibrosis, which I believe is a scarring of the lungs.

He has arranged for me to be seen by a medical specialist and I understand I am to have blood tests and scans of my lungs. My GP believes that the types of dust I was exposed to could cause pneumoconiosis and other conditions such as asthma.

Can I make a claim against my employer for exposure to the hazardous dust at work?

UK industrial disease solicitor response

The types of dust that you have described can cause breathing problems especially when exposure takes please over 10 years as you have indicated.

It seems you were exposed for five years with no breathing protection and thereafter the breathing protection provided was unsuitable.

I believe your employer was negligent to expose you to this dust without adequate protection and medical evidence can be obtained from a specialist consultant as to types of condition which can be developed from the dusts of Cadmium, Zinc Powder, Copper Powder, Volatile Silicon.

You are being referred to a specialist through the NHS and as such that specialist may be able to shed more light on the cause of your condition.

The amounts of compensation you can claim from industrial asthma and other industrial lung diseases can be quite extensive.

Click industrial breathing disorder compensation amounts to see examples of how much compensation you can claim for workplace lung problems.

Compensation Claim: Hearing Loss From Colliery Machinery Loud Noise

Wednesday, May 11th, 2011

UK solicitor explains how to make a claim for noise induced hearing loss from loud machinery in a colliery

Industrial hearing loss victim question

I worked in Eppleton colliery in Durham for twenty years and was exposed to continuous noise from extremely loud machinery.

I was not provided with any hearing protection and was not warned of any dangerous that exposure to excessive noise could cause.

It is approximately twenty years since I finished employment at Eppleton colliery and I have recently attended with my GP and had my hearing tested and have been diagnosed with noise induced hearing loss. Is it too late to claim compensation from the colliery even though I understand that my former employer is no longer in business?

Noise induced hearing loss solicitor response

There is three years from a date of injury or date of knowledge of injury to make a claim for compensation.

From the description you have provided it seems that your knowledge of injury occurred when you had a hearing test and was diagnosed with noise induced hearing loss.

Even though your former employee is no longer in business you are still entitled to make a claim for compensation for your noise induced hearing loss.

A ear noise and throat independent medical expert would have to access your hearing test audiogram, your GP and hospital notes and  to give further examine you with a further hearing test to verify you are suffering from industrial deafness.

A industrial deafness solicitor would instruct the medical expert and if the evidence supports your claim it is likely you will succeed in a claim for compensation.

To see how much compensation you could claim for industrial deafness and tinnitus click industrial deafness compensation.

Claim Vibration White Finger Compensation: Jackhammer, Hydraulic Drill, Diamond Drill, Pneumatic Drill, Core Drill, Wacker Trench Rammer, Wacker Breaker

Thursday, April 14th, 2011

UK solicitor explains how to claim compensation for the use of vibrating machinery in the work place including a jackhammer, hydraulic drill, diamond drill, pneumatic drill, core drill, wacker trench rammer, wacker breaker

Vibration white finger industrial injury victim question

I have worked for twenty years with various different types of vibrating machinery which include a jackhammer, hydraulic drill, diamond drill, pneumatic drill, core drill, wacker trench rammer and wacker breaker.

Towards the end of my twenty years of my employment I started to notice problems with both of my hands. I was suffering from pins and needles and the colour of my fingertips would change to white periodically especially in winter and would then flush red causing a lot of pain.

I worked in three different cities for the same company which were; Newcastle in England, Glasgow and Edinburgh in Scotland.

I left employment with the company approximately two years ago and my symptoms in my hands continued. I have recently attended with my GP who sent me to see a specialist and I have been diagnosed as having vibration white finger / VWF.

The company which I work for is no longer in business and I wish to know whether it is possible to make some form of a claim for compensation?

Industrial disease solicitor response

All of the hand held machinery you have described (including jackhammer, hydraulic drill, diamond drill, pneumatic drill, core drill, wacker trench rammer, wacker breaker) are well known for causing vibration related conditions to workers who are exposed to using such machinery day in day out for extended periods of time.

The symptoms of vibration white figure or hand arm vibration syndrome will typically first commence whilst a worker is still using the vibrating machinery at work or a short time thereafter (typically within a year) and from your description this appears to have occurred.

It is also quite common that a worker might not be aware as to what the problem is and even might presume that after stopping the use of the equipment the condition might improve. However, VWF is a condition where the blood vessels are damaged by the vibrations of the machinery and therefore symptoms can be permanent.

The fact that you have now been diagnosed with vibration white finger is a recognition that you are suffering from an industrial disease condition.

You have three years from date of injury or date of knowledge of injury to commence a claim against your employer and it seems you are well within this time period as you only left your employment approximately two years ago and you were only diagnosed with vibration white finger recently.

The fact that your employer is no longer in business will not affect your ability to claim. All employers must have in place appropriate insurance in the event of accidents or claims made by their employees.

Even though a company may have gone out of business the insurance company will still be in business or alternatively the liabilities of the insurance company will have been passed to another insurer.

An industrial disease solicitor can quite easily trace which insurer was in place and which insurance company now holds the liabilities for the period of your former employment.

The amount of compensation you can claim is dependent upon the severity of your VWF condition. This will be established by you’re a specialist solicitor instructing an appropriate medical expert who will comment on your current symptoms, but also give a prognosis as to what the future holds and any disabling effect to you of this vibration condition.

To make a claim or to discuss your claim online or in person free of charge click vibration white finger compensation claim.