How to claim compensation if you suffer carbon monoxide poisoning in rented or housing association accommodation.
Accident victim question
I just recently started to rent a house from a housing association which has gas central heating and noticed that I was becoming dizzy – I called an ambulance and was taken to hospital and diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning.
I have since found out that my landlord did not have an annual gas safety certificate and that the heating system had not been properly maintained – can I make a claim?
Specialist solicitor response
It is a criminal offence for a landlord not to properly maintain gas appliances and to have an annual gas safety certificate produced by a CORGI approved engineer.
At the commencement of the tenancy the housing association should have provided you with a copy of the gas safety certificate.
Carbon monoxide poisoning (also known as CO poisoning) is a very real risk to tenants if gas appliances are not proerly maintained.
Many people have been killed by carbon monoxide.
You would have a strong claim against your landlord – the housing association. The amount of compensation you can claim would depend on the severity and long term effects of your carbon monoxide poisoning.