Tongue Injury As Child: Scarring Due To Hospital Error

How to claim compensation for your child if a hospital failed to treat properly resulting in scarring

Parent of child accident victim question

My child who is 4 years old had an accident at home falling off a chair and biting into her tongue. We took her to hospital immediately, but the hospital only gave her pain killers and my child is now left with flap on her tongue and scar.

I have since been told by my GP that my daughter was not treated correctly by the hospital.

What should I do?

Specialist medical injury solicitor response

It is quite likely your daughter will have a claim for hospital error – especially as there is a deformity to her tongue.

The first step before any clinical negligence claim can be made is to go through the patient complaints procedure of the hospital NHS trust – highlighting any errors you believe have occurred. The hospital will then respond formerly in writing.

Based upon your compliant, the response given by the NHS Trust and your description a clinical negligence solicitor will be able to better assess if your daughter has a claim.

If she does have a claim an independent medical report will be able to establish whether there is any corrective surgery, which could remedy the deformity problem and will also allow the amount of compensation your daughter can claim to be assessed.