hit and run accident

Hit And Run Accident: How to claim compensation from the Motor Insurers’ Bureau for injuries caused by motor vehicle drivers who leave the scene of an accident

Discover what a hit and run accident is, why car drivers in such accidents are often uninsured or cannot be found, how to claim compensation for your injuries from the Motor Insurers’ Bureau, how much compensation you can claim and how to receive specialist solicitor free online assistance

What is a hit and run accident?

A “Hit and run” accident is the term used in the UK to describe a type of road traffic accident in which the motor vehicle driver who causes the accident leaves the scene without stopping or providing contact and insurance details.

It is a criminal act in the UK to leave the scene of a RTA without providing your details.

The most common types of “hit and run accident” involve car drivers who wish to make a quick exit unnoticed. For other slower moving vehicles, such as trucks and buses, this is not so easy.

What is the motivation behind a hit and run accident?

The majority of hit and run accidents are not caused intentionally – but a motorist who is uninsured or wishes to escape criminal prosecution for dangerous or careless driving will sometime seize the moment to make a fast get away.

Many motorists who leave the scene of an accident will be traced from witnesses who might have spotted the car registration number or from CCTV evidence.

If a driver is not found he is classed as an “untraced driver” and if a driver is found, but does not have motor insurance he is classed as an “uninsured driver”.

Who will pay compensation for your injury if an untraced or uninsured driver causes your RTA?

The Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB) will pay for road traffic accidents in the UK when a driver is untraced or unknown. Vehicle damage and other financial expenses will also be met by the Motor Insurance Bureau.

See our motor vehicle accident insurance article to see all the different types of motor insurance in the UK and how the MIB will meet your claim for compensation for accidents caused by uninsured and untraced drivers.

hit and run car accident claim

Hit And Run Car Accident Claim

How much compensation will you receive for injuries in a hit and run accident?

The amount of compensation you can claim will depend on which part of your body is injured, the severity of your injury and the long term effects of your injury.

See our compensation amounts to see examples of how much compensation you can claim for injury to different body parts caused in a hit and run accident

Specialist solicitor free of charge online / telephone help

Our road traffic accident guide sets out the procedure to claim compensation for injury sustained in all manner or road accidents

Should you wish to discuss your accident or have a question answered by one of our specialist solicitors in person free of charge – select the help you require from our free online / specialist solicitor callback service.

Hit And Run Road Accident Summary

In this article you have seen what a hit and run accident is, how to claim compensation for injury and vehicle damage in a RTA caused by an uninsured or untraced driver and how to speak to a specialist solicitor about your potential claim free of charge.