Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit Claim: How to claim industrial injuries disablement benefit without using a solicitor
Find out in our response to a website user Q & A how to find out how to make an industrial injuries disablement benefit without using a solicitor.
Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit Claim Question
I have suffered an injury at work which prevents me from being able to work.
Can I claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit following my accident at work?
Industrial Injuries Solicitor Response
Industrial injuries disablement benefit can be available if as a result of an accident or disease at work (in England, Scotland or Wales) you are disabled or become ill.
Some of the conditions might cause you to be eligible for industrial injuries disablement benefit include:
1. Pneumoconiosis – typically from inhaling coal dust over an extended period of time (sometime referred to as coal miners’ back lung);
2. Silicosis – inhaling of silicon dust (this is also very typical in the mining industry);
3. Asbestosis – from inhalation of asbestos fibres that can scar your lungs;
6. Miners’ knee (Osteoarthritis in your knee – typically from having to work on your knees for extended periods);
8. Vibration white finger / VWF (consider also other vibration conditions);
9. Diffuse mesothelioma (can be caused by a single asbestos fibre lodging in the lungs, heart, etc.);
10. Primary carcinoma of the lung with asbestosi;
11. Primary carcinoma of the lung without asbestosis (the carcinoma should be related to asbestos exposure so you would need to show that you had experienced extensive exposure to asbestos at work in specified occupations);
12. Unilateral or bilateral diffuse pleural thickening.
Be aware – there may be other conditions that you can receive industrial injuries disablement benefit for, so you should always enquire to find out if your condition is covered.
How to get help from the government to claim for industrial injuries disablement benefit
Our personal injury website and legal help service can assist with making an industrial injuries, work accident or other personal injury claim, but we do not assist you in making benefit claims.
To find out if you are entitled to Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefits we suggest you contact the DWP – Department of Works and Pensions or go direct to the government website.
To see the contact details and helpline numbers on the government website follow the telephone and online government help link.
Looking for more information about claiming from your employer or former employer for injuries or illness?
If your injury at work was caused as a result of an accident – we suggest you see our accident at work article to see the process of claiming compensation from an employer for an accident at work.
See our industrial disease / illness compensation article to see the process for claiming for industrial disease.