Tinnitus Claim

Tinnitus Claim: How To Claim UK Compensation From A Current Or Former Employer For Noise Induced Tinnitus And Hearing Loss

Discover what a tinnitus claim is, the symptoms of occupational hearing loss and tinnitus and what you should do as soon as you discover your symptoms to ensure you can claim compensation from a past or present employer.

What is a tinnitus claim?

A tinnitus claim is a claim for compensation from a current or former employer for hearing damage caused by exposure to excessive noise in the workplace. It forms part of a noise induced hearing loss or industrial deafness claim.

What are the symptoms of tinnitus?

The symptoms of tinnitus are sometimes described as a ringing, buzzing or hissing sound in one or both ears. This sound can be constant or intermittent (happen now and again) and is often noticed much more when there is quiet, such as at night.

In an extreme case of tinnitus the sufferer’s daily activities can be hampered and can lead to difficulties falling asleep.

Can a tinnitus claim come from exposure to noise in the workplace?

“Yes” – most definitely. In actual fact exposure to excessive noise in the work place is one of the most common causes of a tinnitus claim.

Excessive noise exposure quite often causes occupational hearing loss, but it is very common that when the initial symptoms of hearing loss start to appear so too do the initial symptoms of tinnitus.

If you work in a noisy factory or even have been at a club with loud music – immediately after leaving the noisy environment you will hear a ringing in your ears – which will typically clear after a number of hours. This is not tinnitus, but is the short term effect of excessive noise exposure, which is sometimes called a “phase change”.

Workers typically think nothing of this as the ringing initially clears.

How do the initial symptoms of industrial deafness and tinnitus start?

A typical way that the symptoms of noise induced hearing loss begins is that you start to notice that you are missing what people are saying especially when there is background noise, family members complain about the TV having to be turned up, you struggle to hear people at the door or the phone ringing.

Tinnitus Compensation Claim

Tinnitus Compensation Claim

Quite often a short time period after you notice hearing loss symptoms – you will notice a ringing, whistling or hissing sound in one ear. You will usually first notice this at night when all else is quiet.

The ringing sound happen every now and again and then stop. This will eventually become more regular and eventually become a constant noise. Often the same problem will start in the other ear too. The ringing is the beginning of tinnitus.

What should you do if you notice symptoms of tinnitus?

The steps you should take if you notice symptoms of hearing loss and tinnitus include:

1. Consult you GP immediately about your hearing loss and tinnitus

You should contact your GP and ask to be referred to an audiologist for a hearing test who should in turn refer the results of the hearing test, known as an audiogram, to an Ear Nose And Throat Consultant Doctor who will be able to interpret the audiogram and your hearing loss symptoms to see if you are suffering from noise induced hearing loss.

Click occupational hearing loss audiogram to see what the ENT Consultant will be looking for in your audiogram.

2. Keep a diary of the symptoms you are suffering

A diary of your hearing loss symptoms and tinnitus will be of great assistance at a later time should you consider making an industrial deafness and tinnitus claim against your employer. You will be able to use this diary to help your solicitor know when you first experienced tinnitus symptoms and also provide a guide to a medical expert at a later time.

Your solicitor will need to instruct a medical expert should you decide to make a claim to prove to the court and your employer that you are suffering from tinnitus and NIHL.

3. Ask your self the question – did you at any time in your life work in a noisy work environment?

If the answer is “yes” it is quite possible that you will be entitled to compensation from a former or current employer for industrial deafness.

4. Contact an industrial deafness specialist solicitor immediately to make a claim

Once you start experiencing symptoms of hearing loss and tinnitus you should contact a UK specialist industrial deafness lawyer urgently so that the claim against your current or former employer can be commenced before it is too late.

5. Remember you only have three years to start an occupational hearing loss and tinnitus claim

Exposure to noisy work environment may have happened many years ago, but it is still not too late to make claim for compensation. Often you will not realize you have hearing damage until many years after your exposure to noise commenced and generally you will have three years from the date you realized you had hearing damage and tinnitus and that this was likely to have come from your past exposure to a noisy work environment.

Summary of Tinnitus Claim Page

On this page you have seen how a tinnitus claim goes hand in hand with an industrial deafness claim; what the symptoms of tinnitus are and what you must do to make a claim against your employer before it is legally too late.

I recommend you click industrial deafness to see the article I have written explaining how much UK compensation you can recover for an industrial deafness tinnitus claim.