uk citizens abroad

UK Citizens Abroad: The British organizations essential to accident victims overseas who are considering making a claim for compensation

If you are a UK citizen abroad and are injured in an accident and considering making a  claim for compensation you will find this article of assistance.

Whether you are on holiday, travelling independently or living and working abroad – the terminology in this article will provide a useful reference source for all the articles we have written describing how to claim compensation for a travel related accident or loss whilst overseas.

Key phrases and abbreviations helpful to UK citizens abroad

ABTA – Association Of British Travel Agents

ABTA is a travel association that represents the interests of both travel agents and tour operators in the United Kingdom. The majority of holidays, package or independent travel, are organised through ABTA members.

Click ABTA to go to the Association Of British Travel Agents website.

AITO – Association Of Tour Operators

AITO consists of the independent tour operators who are not members of ABTA – usually the smaller specialist tour operators.

CPT – Confederation Of Passenger Transport

The CPT represents the interests of coach tour and passenger transport operators

BCH – Bonded Coach Holidays

The BCH refers to CPT members who have joined the BCH travel protection scheme, which will compensate you for the monies you have paid in the event of problems with your holiday.

The coach holiday must be the equivalent of a coach package holiday – including travel and accommodation with at least one overnight stay.

PSA – Passenger Shipping Association

The PSA represents the interests of cruise operators

CAA – Civil Aviation Authority

The CAA is the UK’s independent authority which regulates transport by air in the United Kingdom.

Click CAA to view the Civil Aviation Authority website

uk citizens holiday accident abroad
UK Citizens Holiday Accident Abroad

ATOL – Air Travel Organiser’s Licence

The CAA requires UK tour operators selling package holidays which include some form or air transport to be ATOL registered. ATOL protects you should a tour operator go bankrupt.

Click ATOL to learn about Air Travel Organiser’s Licence and the protection it provides.

Package Holiday Regulations

Package Travel, Package Holidays and Package Tour Regulations 1992 is the full name for the UK law relating to package holidays at home and abroad.

Click package holiday to find a government website setting out the relevant law.

See our package holiday claims article if you are a UK citizen abroad who has suffered injury from an accident whilst on a package holiday.

UK Citizens Abroad Summary & Online Solicitor Free Help

In this article you have discovered about some essential bodies relevant to UK citizens abroad wishing to claim personal injury compensation.

If you suffer injury whilst overseas you can use our holiday solicitor free online help – to ask an online question or arrange a callback to discuss your accident with a solicitor in person.