Attack At School: Claim Compensation For School Negligence / Criminal Injuries

UK solicitor explains how to claim compensation if your child is attacked at school by another pupil

Parent of school accident victim question

My son was at school and is 11 years of age and he was attack by an older child aged 14 years. Is he entitled to claim compensation?

School accident solicitor response

As the child who assaulted your son is aged 14 years – he has criminal culpability or responsibility for his acts and as such the police should be involved.

If a crime of violence is confirmed by the police – a claim to the criminal injuries compensation authority can be made.

Unless negligence can be shown by the school it would be difficult to hold the school responsible for the assault. If the school was aware that the older child had attacked other pupils in the past and had not been properly disciplined or segregated him from more vulnerable younger pupils this could suggest liability.

In any event I do recommend the involvement of the police.

To see the procedure for claiming criminal injuries compensation click criminal injuries claim and to see the steps to claiming for an accident involving a child click child school accident claim.